Monday, May 23, 2011

You’re not worthy

You’re not worthy

You don’t deserve God’s love

Whilst you might be a touch surprised to be hearing this from me, you’re probably not surprised by the statement itself. You have heard it over and over and over again, and most likely you agree with it.

But are we really unworthy or is that just what we have been taught to believe? It’s certainly what I have been taught by every Church I’ve been in. You’re not worthy of God’s love. But is it really true? Listen to what you are thinking right now. It’s important. Stop for a moment and really reflect on what’s going through your mind. I would guarantee that the vast majority of you are thinking that by challenging the notion of our unworthiness, I am in fact beginning to hint at the possibility of worthiness.

But that’s not what I want to do at all. I don’t want to do that because I don’t think we are worthy of God’s love – it’s just that I don’t think that we are not worthy either!

Now, how can that be? Well, I’m glad you asked!

Inherent in the statement “I am not worthy of God’s love” is a particular belief. A belief without which, the statement makes no logical sense whatsoever. And it is this: That it is possible to be worthy of love. That love can be earned, or merited, or deserved. For if it cannot, we can’t be worthy of it nor can we be unworthy of it. And this is true of genuine love – it cannot be deserved. It cannot be earned. It cannot be merited.

But why not? It’s because genuine love, true love, is unconditional.

Conditional love says ‘I love you, if…’ If you look pretty, if you keep the house clean, if you wear the right clothes or do the right things. I love you if you treat me a particular way. Conditional love is on a treasure hunt. It seeks to love that which has great beauty or worth. When you love a person conditionally, you are really not loving them at all. You are loving how they look or what they do.

The opposite of this treasure hunt love is unconditional love. Rather than seeking to love that which has great beauty or worth, this is love that creates beauty or worth in that which it loves. There is no ‘if’ in unconditional love. There is simply ‘I love you’. You need never fear that I will take my love away from you. There is nothing you have to do to get my love. And there is nothing you can do to lose my love. There is no fine print in the contract because love isn't a contract.

When I attach conditions to love, I am no longer offering you a gift; I am only offering an exchange. And true love must always be a free gift.

This is how God loves us – unconditionally. This is why we can have rest, and peace, and assurance – God does not have to be conditioned into loving us. He just loves us. Loves us exactly how we are right now, imperfections and all.

Some time ago I was chatting with a Christian fellow about the unconditional love of God. And the most amazing thing happened – he actually tried to convince me that God loves us unconditionally once we have become Christians! I re-phrased what he was saying in an effort to show him the absurdity of it. I said to him, “You have just told me that God loves us without conditions, on the condition that we become believers.” In a testimony to the power of preconceived mindsets preventing us from seeing the completely obvious, my friend still could not see that what he was saying was completely contradictory!

How can it be unconditional if there is a condition to getting it?

Love is not earned. Love cannot be merited in any way. It can’t be deserved, because it is a freely given gift, freely given to the one whom is loved. As such, it is logically incoherent to suggest that someone is worthy of love. Love isn’t dispensed on worthiness, it’s just given away completely blind to any worth at all.

That explains the ‘unconditional’ part of unconditional love – but what about the ‘love’ part? What is love really about? It might seem a silly question with an obvious answer, but I think, as a society, we are confused about what love is. We have a strong positive passion about something and we call it love. But love is not merely a feeling of happiness or a sickly sweet emotion that we write country music about.

Emotions are extremely powerful things. God wired us up to be emotional creatures. From burning anger to warm affection and delirious delight, our emotions can create enormous problems for us or spur us to heroic action and sacrifice.

But love is more than a feeling or an emotion. In fact, whilst love is accompanied by many varied feelings and emotions, it isn’t a feeling at all; it is something that is done. As DC Talk, Dr. Gary Chapman and many others have said, love is a verb.

Eric Fromm in “The Art of Loving” says "Love is a decision, it is a judgment, it is a promise. If love were only a feeling, there would be no basis for the promise to love each other forever. A feeling comes and it may go….Love isn't something natural. Rather it requires discipline, concentration, patience, faith, and the overcoming of narcissism. It isn't a feeling, it is a practice."

In Mark chapter 12 when Jesus was asked, ‘What is the greatest commandment’? He replied by saying love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. If love for God and others is the greatest commandment, then love is not an emotion. You can’t command emotions.


In Matthew 5, Jesus even told us to love our enemies. He doesn’t expect us to have warm, fuzzy feelings for that guy who cut you off in traffic this morning. He isn’t telling us how to feel. He’s telling us how to act.

So if love is not a feeling and is instead something that is done, what exactly is it that is done?

Psychiatrist Dr. Harry Stack Sullivan says that when the happiness, security and well-being of another person is as important to you as your own happiness, security and well-being, then you love that person. In short, love is to work in the best interest of another, to have a positive impact on another’s life.

1 Corinthians 13 speaks essentially the same message, describing love as patient, kind, forgiving, truthful, trustworthy and eternal.


When I got married many years ago, the Minister gave a terrific piece of advice. He suggested, whenever I felt angry or uptight, replacing the word ‘love’ in 1 Corinthians 13 with myself. No longer did it read “Love is patient, love is kind, etc” It now read, “I am patient. I am kind. I am not proud, I am not easily angered. I keep no record of wrongs.” It is very challenging but also very helpful.

It describes an unconditional love, and unconditional love is the only true love, and it is the way that God loves us. God says to us, I love you. I have given you my love, and I will always love you. You are free to walk away and ignore my love, but I will never stop loving you, and I will welcome you home no matter how long it takes for you to come.

God’s word to us is - My love for you is unconditional, it has no strings attached, it isn't a contact - it is a gift and it's yours, forever. Even if you leave me, my love goes on.

You can even replace the word ‘love’ in 1 Corinthians 13 with ‘God’. It gives a wonderfully easy to see yet profoundly deep vision of God.

God is patient, God is kind. God does not envy, does not boast, is not proud. God does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, and keeps no record of wrongs. God does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. God always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres. God never fails.

So, are we worthy of God’s love? Of course not! But that doesn’t make us unworthy of His love either. For love is not measured by worth. Love is not merited. Love is given. God is love, and He loves you without limits. May you find peace and rest in the assurance of His love.

3 comments:

  1. hi peter...good article!!

    Just thought i'd send the link to that Doug Frank book i mentioned...notice the table of contents - very interesting!!

    http://dougfrankbooks.virginiajournal.org/a-gentler-god/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Jeremy :)

    I look forward to taking a look at that book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best article/blog I have ever had the pleasure of reading. I believe God used this to speak to me, and this made my night. Thank you; you probably don't know how much this helped :)

    ReplyDelete