Saturday, October 10, 2009

What does it mean to Repent and Believe?

The interpretation of ‘repent and believe’ that has been most common, is the belief that to repent is one thing, and to believe is another. Traditionally, to repent is to turn your back on sin, and turn to face God and walk in His ways. To believe is to put your faith in Jesus Christ. It is true, of course, that traditional teaching has not isolated these two things from one another. Repentance and faith are taught as going ‘hand in hand’, but it is still clear that they are describing separate events.

Robert Farrar Capon suggests that repent and believe should be interpreted as one and the same thing. He writes, “I wouldn’t read ‘repent and believe’ … as if it meant ‘repent first, and then when you have got that job done right, believe’. I would read it as a double imperative doing duty for a conditional statement of a single truth: sort of like ‘spare the rod and spoil the child’, which really means ‘if you spare the rod, you will inexorably spare the child’.”

When read in this way, ‘repent and believe’ refers to a single act; the act of going from unbelief to faith. Repentance is a part of the believing process, it is not some separate act that earns Heavenly brownie points with a Divine book-keeper. To repent is turn your mind around. But what is it that we turn our minds around from? If Capon is correct, then it is unbelief that we turn from. So ‘repent and believe’ is not ‘turn from sin and believe in Christ’ as it has been presented, but ‘turn to belief from unbelief’.

Nowhere in the Bible do we find the meaning of repentance that the church has enjoyed peddling; the meaning that suggests ‘get your act cleaned up and then start believing in Jesus’. David DePra questions repentance and belief and concludes, “If I have repented, I have changed. But what changes about me if I repent? Well, fundamentally, what changes is I no longer live in unbelief....I stop believing my sin comes between myself and God."

It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that IF we repent, God THEN gives us His grace and forgiveness. But this is not the way it works. Let's think about this for a moment. Once I say, "IF I repent, THEN God gives His grace," I am making grace conditional. I am basing God's grace on something that I do. Repentance is nothing more than our return to God; a return that Christ has already accomplished on our behalf in the Incarnation. The infinitely Gracious God has already forgiven us, and this is what makes our repentance possible. (Michael Jinkins)

The point is this: God's forgiveness and grace are finished for me. They are inished for everyone -- no matter whether they have repented or not. That is because His finished work depends solely upon Him. There are no "IF's." Grace is NOT based on anything I do, or even based on whether I repent. They are based solely on what Christ has done. If it is based upon me, it must by definition, cease to be Grace.

6 comments:

  1. Peter, a careful look at repentance in the Bible supports your conclusion. And a quick look at the Greek word for repent, metanoeo, supports it too. "Change-mind." Jesus said in his first recorded message:

    Mark 1:15 "The time has come," he said. "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!"

    What's the good news to which he refers? That right now the Kingdom of God is near in Jesus, not far. Change your mind (metanoeo/repent) by believe that this good news is true.

    We've perverted repentance and belief. Faith or belief (pistos) has been turned into something we do to get grace. Repentance likewise has been turned into something we do to get grace.

    Yet belief/faith is trusting and resting in the message of the presence of God's grace-filled kingdom. And repentance is "changing your mind" about the far-away-ness of God's kingdom of grace.

    Our perversion, that turns belief and repentance into something we do to get grace, is a product of our sin-minded unbelief and our darkened propensity to see religious words and actions as being our only hope of getting grace from a "God" who withholds it until we say and do religious things.

    I appreciate you, Peter, and I appreciate your comment on my Grandmother blog. It's good to meet you, and better to know that we are brothers in the defense of grace. Let's not be ashamed of this good news!

    ---Bert

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best explanation of "repent and believe" I have read thus far...I can't wait to let the rest of the family read it...We are all studying furiously at times incarnational theology. Thank you so much for taking the time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post brother, and look forward to reading more here! Thank you for allowing for the labor of Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for your kind and encouraging comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good article, thank you.

    I find it difficult to think of someone first believing enough to repent so that grace can be applied. Because if grace is not applied until they repent, and they repent because they believe, my question is, what are they to believe if grace is not first applied?

    This is the "Chicken and the Egg" question.

    In order for me to successfully evangelize, I would have to say that what Christ has done is applied to all of humanity (free grace), therefore, do you believe? If you believe, it is because something has already happened for one to believe, otherwise, nothing to believe and therefore, nothing to repent.

    So grace has to be first. Belief and repentance is one and the same, since belief is the cause of repentance, and repentance, which is a change of mind about your reality of who and what you are in Christ, is what causes belief.

    I cannot ask them to believe what is not true about them. They cannot believe if it is not true. My belief does not cause money to appear in the bank. But money in the bank is no good to me if I do not believe it is there.

    Jesus accomplished it for you, and you are included. Do you believe?

    Boyd

    ReplyDelete