Wednesday, February 18, 2009

How Much Hate Is enough?

God had been chipping away at my understanding of hell for quite some time. I had been wrestling theologically for years but one night, several years ago at a bonfire on a friend’s country property, it hit me experientially.

The bonfire was very large. It measured close to 4 metres across and when it was lit, the flames stretched several metres in the air. I sat, with my wife, my children and my friends, around the fire. As a child I had always liked to watch fire, even if it was only the flickering flame of a candle. There is something, at least for me, quite captivating about a bonfire. I sat and watched until the cold of the evening began to settle in. It took some time for me to realise that I was becoming quite cold, but eventually I moved closer to the fire. The heat was intense. I was still quite some distance from the flames, yet I was already too close. It was too hot, yet I could not move away. I stood, just staring into the fire. I was now uncomfortably hot. I took a step closer. I should have taken a step back, not forward, but I could not help myself. Still several metres away from the bonfire, the heat was oppressive. Just 3 metres and 5 minutes before, I had been cold. It was hard to remember that. I removed my jacket, thinking that would help me feel not quite as hot, but that only made it worse. Now I could feel the intense heat on my flesh. I kept staring at the fire, thinking of the hatred it would take to be able to throw someone into the fire. It was literally unbearable for me to be closer than 2 metres to this fire – I tried but could not imagine the pain of actually being in the fire. Your flesh would literally melt off your bones. I began to wonder - how much hatred would it take to put someone through that? A person with deep-seated psychological problems could do it perhaps, but I am talking about someone whole and healthy. How much hate would be enough?

I thought of some people whom I hate. I thought of the people who have hurt my loved ones. I thought of the maniacs who sexually abuse children. I thought of Adolph Hitler and even worse, Josef Mengele, the famous ‘Angel of Death’. How much hate is enough? I could not throw any of those hated people into the fire. It is just too cruel. But, you may well say, these men have done things far worse to their victims – they deserve the fire! Be that as it may, it is not I who could be the one that throws them into the fire. And I strongly believe that you could not be that one either. Perhaps, in a moment of extreme rage (and it would need to be very extreme) my anger might overpower me and I might throw them into the fire. Perhaps, but leaving someone in the fire is even harder than throwing them in. Even if you or I did throw someone into a fire, we could no more leave them in there than jump over the moon. Once you heard the screams, and smelt the burning flesh, something would give way inside of you and you would relent. I cannot conceive of a hatred so intense that would allow me to throw someone into a fire and leave them there - or even worse, holding them in there.

Still standing before the fire, I began to think about God. If I could not throw these people in the fire, what then must we think of the God who could? It is not weakness that prevents me from throwing these folk on the fire - it is compassion and it is mercy. Should we thus conclude that I am in fact more compassionate and more merciful than God? I should think not, but then we must start questioning the doctrine of hell. For if God is more merciful and compassionate than we are, and I believe He is, then He could never cast anyone aside forever - especially in torment.

It warrants thinking about.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for that. The disconnect that makes most sweet Christians accept that belief amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging posts Collective and Don :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter,

    I have added your site to my blog site at www.pastorpaulsinteractiveblog.blogspot.com

    You take on Hell is right on. I have several papers on the subject I will share with you and any of your blog readers. just email me at

    Paul.Kurts@wcg.org

    and ask for the Hell articles.

    Thanks for your blog.

    My church web site is

    www.newlifewcg.org

    God bless,

    Paul Kurts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter,
    I agree with another commentor above who confessed to his amazement at the strange perspective of otherwise gentle people who do believe in hell.
    I have found that some otherwise lovely people get very upset at the thought that there may not be many (or any) people in hell. It is almost as if they think, "Somebody should suffer!". They seem to be disappointed that it should be otherwise.
    For myself I jumped at the chance to discover a Biblical perspective that enabled me to question that belief without feeling that I was become an infidel.
    I have written some stuff about it on my blog at
    http://philipredwards.blogspot.com/
    and would appreciate comments by yourself or any other of your readers.

    Thanks for your input.
    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Peter, I read your article with interest. I notice that your conclusions have come from your own reasonings and your own thoughts. The difficulty with that is that we must begin with Scripture and be "transformed by the renewing of our minds." The unfolding of his word brings light. His word is a lamp and a light. We must be careful of anything in addition to them. In his word, we will find that God's ways are not our ways. They are higher than our ways. That does not mean that we will understand them all perfectly and that we will, this side of eternity be able to reconcile Gods ways in our finite minds. The revealed things belong to us, but the secret things belong to him. And although at first (or even second) glance we may not like all he tells us because we feel he should be like us (made in our image) if that is our approach we end up with a God of our imaginations, not the true God as revealed in Scripture. And a God of our imaginations is an idol. A God of our imaginations does all things to suit us (just like a genie.) But the God who made us does as he pleases in the heavens above and the earth below. And he doesnt always tell us his reasons. He simply tells us that he is holy. And he asks who are we to talk back to him. Kiss the Son lest he be angry, and you be destroyed in your way. Blessed are all who take refuge in him. Psalm 2. Hope this helps, Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings Tom. The problem with your post is that you have taken 1 post of mine in isolation from the rest and in isolation from my books. Before you critique my theology, you should take the time to understand it. 1 short blog post is hardly enough :)

    I agree with you Tom, that a God of our imaginations is but an idol, and we must believe only in the God revealed in Scripture. And who is the God revealed in Scripture? The God who loves without limits, who accepts the condemned, who dies for every single one of us whilst we were still sinners.

    In light of Jesus Christ’s revelation of His Father, I find it utterly impossible to believe in any of the widely held views of hell. Upon close examination of the Scriptures, the popular views of hell are found wanting. The god who unceasingly tortures his children is an invention of the human imagination. The God who unceasingly loves His children is revealed in Jesus Christ. The god who gives up on us after a time is an invention of the human mind. The God who is forever on our side, who will eternally be working against our opposition of Him, has shown us Himself.

    Praise God that He has revealed Himself in the Son. It is time for us to reject all human constructs, and believe only in the God that we can see reflected in the face of Jesus Christ. God’s final word is not judgement; it is restoration.

    AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Peter, I don't mean to misrepresent your views in any way. I have looked into Scripture and universalist beliefs and do not lightly say the things I am saying here. Part of my concern arises from contact with a believer who has come to the conclusion that all will be saved. His zeal for the salvation of souls has almost evaporated with his new found beliefs. He now believes the old lie from the father of lies, "you shall not surely die." My only concern is that no-one presume that they will escape the just condemnation of a holy God, when Scripture (Jesus) warns us so many times that the same God who loved us so much that he sent a Saviour will also judge the world with justice and righteousness. How shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation.

    Scripture also makes clear that not all are God's children. To all who received him, to those who believed in his name he gave the right to become children of God. We are adopted into his family through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ in accordance with his pleasure and will -Ephesians 1:4.

    When I read verses like Daniel 12:2 ("Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt") or Matthew 25:46 ("Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life") I am constrained to say as Job did when his questions concerning suffering went unanswered except by chapter after chapter of questions from God: "I know that you can do all things and that no plan of your can be thwarted. You asked, "Who is this that obscures my council without knowledge?" Surely I spoke of things too wonderful for me to know....My ears have heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes." Job 42:2-6.All the best, Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Tom. I agree with you regarding your concern about evangelism, but it would be an error to assume that all universalists feel that way. It is a very common objection to universalism and as such I spend some time addressing it in my book.

    When I read verses like Rom 5:18 "Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men." and 1 Cor 15:22 "For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive." I cannot help but joyfully join with John and proclaim that Jesus is indeed the Saviour of the World.

    Peace, Pete

    ReplyDelete